1958 Laverda Laverdino
Engine # 11539
In the late 1940s, Moto Laverda was founded by Fracesco Laverda, son of Pietro Laverda who himself had founded Laverda Macchine Agricole, producers of combines, grape presses, and other mechanized agricultural equipment. By 1949, Moto Laverda had built its first prototype 75cc single cylinder (canted forward) 4-stroke engine powered moped. By the early fifties the company had produced a series of 50cc and 75cc (3HP) lightweight moped-like single seat machines with pressed steel frames, flywheel magneto ignition, and a small egg-shaped gas tank, of semi step-through design.
By the mid-50s, updated, modernized designs resulted in 75cc and 100cc machines that were true lightweight motorcycles. At that point Laverda was fully participating in Italian off-road racing and in signature Italian road races such as the Moto Giro and Milano-Taranto runs. Wanting to keep a foot in the European moped market, in 1958, Laverda began production of the 49cc Laverdino offered here. The engine is of 4-stroke design coupled to a 3-speed transmission with ignition by flywheel magneto. Unlike cheaply made mopeds, the Laverdino has full hydraulic rear shocks and telescopic front forks. Top speed was 33mph. Unusual for a moped, it rolls on 18” wheels.
This 1958 Laverdino, the only one known in the US, is in original condition, as from the factory. It has not been restored, but well maintained and preserved in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition. From the Luciano Brazzarola collection, it is the very Laverdino shown on page 4 of the 50th Anniversary of Moto Laverda commemorative book. It comes with an advertising sheet and owners manual. Selling on a Bill of Sale
Click on any of the images above to view larger pictures.